Engineering is the application of math, science and other subject areas to conduct research and solve problems. Engineering is a multi-disciplinary career field, and most projects that professionals engineers work on involve collaboration with additional engineers from a variety of specialty areas.
Browse the fields below to learn more about the diverse range of options within engineering. You can do additional research on this field in the Vault Guide to Engineering Jobs.
Seek out opportunities to get hands-on experience with equipment, materials and design through coursework, research, internships and student organizations.
Consider contacting faculty whose work interests you to see if there are research assistant roles available. Professional organizations' job boards and university research assistantship program websites are also possibilities to find opportunities to gain experience.
Internships in engineering can be found for all class years and provide valuable practical experience to complement coursework. When preparing application materials and interviewing, emphasize hands-on learning from class projects and student organizations on your resume, and be creative when looking for roles.
Recruiting in engineering is largely based on field and size of company. Large, multinational aerospace, automotive, chemical, electrical, energy, manufacturing and mechanical engineering firms recruit early in the academic year. Smaller niche and startup organizations tend to recruit closer to the start of the summer. Civil and environmental engineering firms mostly recruit in the spring, particularly for roles in the northeast as the summer is when most fieldwork is conducted.
Centers and campus offices
- Climate Futures Initiative
- Finding support at Princeton
- Metropolis Project
- High Meadows Environmental Institute
Undergraduate student groups
- Engineers Without Borders
- Innovation Princeton Journal of Science
- Makers Collective
- National Society of Black Engineers
- Princeton Aviation Association
- Princeton Racing Electric
- Princeton Radio Control Club
- Princeton Society of Physics Students
- Princeton University Energy Association
- Robotics Club
- Rocketry Club
- Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers
- Society of Women Engineers
- Sustainable Engineering and Development Scholars
- Tau Beta Pi
- Undergraduate Engineering Council
- Undergraduate Women in Physics
Graduate student groups
- Graduate Engineering Council
- Graduate Women in Science & Engineering
- Graduate Women in Physics
- Princeton Graduate Society of Women Engineers
- Princeton Women in STEM Leadership Council
More resources and information specific to fields within engineering can be found in the subcategory pages listed below.
Job TitleSenior Engineer
Job TitleWater Resources Engineer
Job TitlePrincipal Engineer
Job TitleBridge Engineer